Skip to main content
Forums

Just to let fellow Mac users know:

Don't waste your money on buying an international subscription for the video. Still doesn't work on a Mac, irrespective of browser used - Safari, Netscape (which AOL dropped support for beginning of March), Firefox - none of them work. One can get the Newsdesk video, but not the match replays. Get an error message saying path name blah blah blah are incorrect. Same error message as last season. Phooey.

Jack

Posted by rstevenson on March 29, 2008

Typical. They should have fixed this idiocy when they redid the web site, but I've noticed that many Australian web services are still in the dark ages.

Have you tried a browser that can mimic IE? That is, one where you can set in its Prefs that it should identify itself as IE instead of itself. (iCab can do that, not sure about others.) This sometimes works. But of course, if the content is actually depending on a system path, as that error message suggests, then that won't work.

The stupidity of Windoze programmers never ceases to amaze me.

Rob

[ later edit ]

On sober second thought, I wouldn't want to annoy too many people. So I'd better explain that over the years the term Windoze has taken on a life of its own, not necessarily related to any particular operating system. In this instance it refers to programmers who, through error or malice, have created a program which needlessly requires some element of the Windows OS, likely even some version of same, to be available before the program will run.

Now if this was done while writing an app destined for Windows machines, good on ya. But when you're creating an app which will be run on the web, this is by definition a stupid mistake. The web is a medium accessed by many operating systems, under many conditions. No assumptions should be made about the OS of the browsing party. It's especially stupid to require a particular OS just to deliver a bloody video.

If the gormless wonder at Big Pond who programmed this mistake would like to jump into the conversation, I'd love to hear his excuses.

Posted by admincms on March 29, 2008

1.  I concur that programming for a specific OS etc on the web is ill-advised.  However, browser compatibility is a nightmare.  AFANA has fixed many of the Mac issues we had hweover now this site does not display correctly in IE6.  Why?  Because IE6 does not handle CSS correctly.  We've tested 45 different browser & operating system combinations and only IE6 fails totally (IE7+ works fine).  As for the AFL site my guess is that Windows bias per se is not the real issue, Digital Rights Management features and Windows Media Player are what counts.  For the record, over 85% of our visitors are still using some version of Windows so that is "where the money is".

2. (Disclaimer to make all lawyers reading this thread happy:)  User comments such as Jack's do not represent the views of AFANA or it's officers or staff.  The comments and recommendations contained therein are solely those of the person who posted the comment.  Now back to our regular programming...

3.  The suggestions to use browsers that mimic IE, the VLC player, and the Windows Media add-in for Firefox which occur elsewhere on this site are still highly encouraged.  Whether they help in Jack or anyone else's particular situation cannot be guaranteed.

Posted by Beaver on May 03, 2008

So the main reason... is that the choice that BigPond made for video streaming REQUIRES Windows Media Player.  It is really a browser issue it is the choice of streaming video that BP/afl.com.au/Telstra chose.  I have tried SEVERAL media players to enable this..  VLC should work but BP does NOT allow direct access to the stream therefor it must run as a... wait for it... ActiveX control within the browser context...

Now I have found a capture program for windows that can find the direct URL for the video stream and pull in down with ease.... but then I have to use windows.

Second option was to download the URL as an AVI to the harddrive on my windows box then move it to my OSX machine.  Worked fine..  but a lot of work...  

Moral of the story?   Get Setanta Broadband or...   have a spare virus sieve er windows box lying around to do a video capture with.... 

Beaver

Posted by rstevenson on May 08, 2008

One other option I should have mentioned during my rant above...

You can either reboot your Mac into Windows (yeah, gives me the shivers too, but it works) or you can run an environment in the Mac which can then run Windows.  (Either option requires a Windows install disk.) I do the latter when I want to check web sites I work on in various versions of IE. I use a product called Parallels Desktop (see parallels.com). Once you've installed Parallels, you can then install whatever OS you want into it -- more than one at a time if you wish. I installed XP and it works fine.

HTH

Rob

Posted by Darrens on May 09, 2008

Logged on to see that there was a International subscription to the AFL with all of the games being shown every week. Great! Seems like a dream come true. In realitiy it is the complete opposite.    Games stopped consistantly and I was not able to get back to where I was watching. Had to watch from the start again.   When the video did work it was choppy and it was that bad a quality, I would of been better off watching it off my mobile phone.    Loading times were completly awful. Considering I have had no issues watching or loading videos from sites such as youtube etc, I dont think it has any thing to do with my connection.    Browser support - well it seems the site doesn't support any browsers. everything failed.

It seems no work or effort has gone into this site or their customer service. Absolute waste of money. Called for a refund and spent 4 hours just trying to locate a help desk representitive.   Stay Away!

Posted by Swans500 on May 09, 2008

I agree. I paid for it in '06 and it was reasonable and I got through most games OK, but by '07 it had degenerated to how you describe. So I went to ITVN while it lasted and now use Setanta BB which has certainly proved to be the most reliable. Why BigPond has so much trouble is beyond me. They are a major telecommunications company....and as you say...we have no problem with streamimg YouTube or AOL video etc etc etc.

Posted by Beaver on May 10, 2008

Just got through with watching first game on Setanta Broadband and am pleased....  (Plus the Vic's won! ) .... 

Only major complaint is that there is no "Full Screen" option...

Beaver

Posted by Swans500 on May 11, 2008

....Just right click on the middle of the Setanta display screen and click on "Zoom", it will give you the full screen option.

Dennis.

Posted by ovalball on May 16, 2008

Hmmm. I'm no tech, but I think it's a function of your media player, not the provider. The directions were for going full screen with WMP.

What are you using on your Mac?

Posted by Beaver on May 16, 2008

So the issue again is that Setanta like afl and bigpond chose a PROPRIETARY (e.g. Windows ONLY) steaming system.   it uses .wmv technology.  so for mac or linux users...  this means that you have to use FlipforMac or an OpenSource translation program...  however.. FlipForMac seems to work fine to get the stream... just need to do a work around for the mac side for zooming since the controls are windows proprietary as well....  soooo...

Here is the work around from Setanta Help Desk:

Mac users have to use the Zoom option:
Click on Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse (tab) >
tick Zoom using scroll wheel while holding.

Best regards,
Setanta Broadband Customer Services

Rob - I will compile all of this "stuff" after this weekend and post it as a "How To" for mac users like I did for AFL Radio....

Beaver

Recent content

Partners

Worldfootynews.com

ENJOY Three Months Free! 

VPN for Sports!

• Need to access sports broadcasts that are blocked in your area? You need a VPN!
  • With ExpressVPN, you get a flexible VPN service that can be adjusted on the fly.
  • More than 105 countries suppoorted.
  • The best part? Click on this offer and get 3 months FREE!

We Recommend:

ENJOY 40% OFF SITEWIDE!

• The future of vitamins is here! Say goodbye to generic multivitamins cluttering your table top. 
  • With Vitable, you get personalized daily vitamin packs tailored to your unique diet, lifestyle and health needs.
  • All you need to do is complete a simple online quiz and unlock your expert recommendation. 
  • Join the 400,000+ people embracing the Vitable way with 40% OFF your first order
  • Use the promo code AFANA40 at checkout.