Skip to main content

(Update August 31, 2010): The situation has a satisfactory resolution.  We've been informed that ESPN Classic will now carry the match LIVE from 11:30 PM EDT through to 4:00 AM EDT will full coverage.  ESPN2 will pick up the coverage live, in progress, at 1:00 AM EDT (probably some time around the start of the 2nd quarter.  ESPN3.com will also have live and full coverage as previously announced.  Thanks to all fans for their support!)

As of today (August 26, 2010), the Grand Final is NOT live in the USA except via the Internet (ESPN3.com or Omnisport.tv). The AFL and ESPN have confirmed that ESPN plans to delay the game by 30 minutes (1:00 AM EDT broadcast start) on ESPN2 and skip all pre- and post-game coverage with telecast ending at 3:30 AM EDT. Coverage would begin with bouncedown but on a delayed basis.  This is acceptable and within the contractual agreement between the AFL and ESPN according to sources we have (which are reliable).  Thus neither the AFL or ESPN have legal reason to change this.  Only fan demand can make a difference.  ESPN has a contractual requirement to air an MLS soccer game live from 11 PM EDT until 1:00 AM.  There isn't live programming on other ESPN channels (such as ESPN-Classic or ESPN-U) however, for reasons that we are told are confidential, the game cannot be moved.  AFANA feels however, that at least the pre-game and the start of the game need to be aired elsewhere live.  Unless that occurs, the late start is potentially disastrous for parties in the Eastern and Central time zones.  For parties everywhere, missing the pre-game, Advance Australia Fair, and the festivities is a huge loss.  What do you think?

AFANA will issue updates on this site if this changes. We will be posting suggestions on the site shortly for how you can use the ESPN3 feed to provide coverage for your party if it comes to that and you can get ESPN3 locally.

Canada: The Canadian coverage will be live on TSN2. We are awaiting the starting times for TSN2 and should have those posted on our web site TV Schedules page shortly. We do not know definitively if Canada is impacted by the ESPN plans but we do not believe that to be the case based on current information.

Tell us how this situation affects you or your party.  Let us know why the late start and edited coverage is a problem.  Tell us what you want to see in the coverage and how ESPN and the AFL should respond (the more specific the better).  We'll share a summary of this thread with ESPN and the AFL.  Be civil and polite, keep the language family friendly, and remember we want the AFL and ESPN to help us not be angry with us (or we'll moderate comments in accord with our site policies).  You can also e-mail comments to gf_feedback[at)afana[ dot }com (click on the three dots to view the address).

Posted by Jamie (not verified) on August 26, 2010

It's hard enough for me to stay up until 3 watching the game, so staying up an extra hour is a big ask. I really appreciated ESPN's effort last year to put the Grand Final on ESPN Classic, and like anyone ready to stay up that late to watch the game, would be more than willing to pay to watch it on one of their special subscription stations. Please thank ESPN for their long history of service to the game - after all, they introduced it to American audiences - and please ask them to do everything they can to broadcast it live, whatever it takes.

I would rather see it on live and with the pre-game and post-game coverage if at all possible, even if that means moving it to another ESPN outlet. But if it has to be delayed, I'd rather see the bouncedown at 1 am sharp rather than even later. I wonder, though, if 3:30 will be late enough to get the whole game in; last year's game ended around 3:15 EDT, and 2:40-2:45 is fairly standard for footy matches. I assume ESPN would stay until game's end, but an abrupt or even (gasp) a premature cutoff would be very unfortunate.

Posted by quisp on August 27, 2010

I'm on the East Coast of the US and a delayed Grand Final will cause the party we typically attend to be canceled. With no pre-game festivities and a delayed start, the party's organizers feel it's not economically viable to open their facility at such a late hour for such a short period of time.

I ask that ESPN please reconsider their decision and choose to cover the entire Grand Final from pre-game through post-game. Thanks!

Posted by Rob (not verified) on August 31, 2010

I just checked the TSN2 schedule this morning and it appears that TSN2 will be carrying two games live and in HD this weekend. Both qualifying finals! This is excellent news for Canadian AFL fans. Hopefully this will mean 2 games per week throughout the Finals!
Posted by admincms on August 31, 2010

Thanks, Rob.  We received the info from the AFL overnight and we'll be updating our web pages today with the match info for this weekend.  We haven't heard from TSN yet but expect to shortly. 

I'm not sure it's a given we'll get 2 matches per week the next two weeks but it is a good possibility and consistent with their previous plans.

We have good news on the GF front as it appears we will get full wall to wall coverage on ESPN Classic and probably TSN2.  Again this info came in overnight and has to be verified but it looks as if this issue is solved!

-Rob
AFANA Chairman Emeritus and Site Admin

Posted by admincms on August 31, 2010

It's possible but all TSN is obligated to do by contract is one live game per week on TSN2 and one game on demand on TSN.ca (they do not have to be the same game).  Anything beyond that is at the "generosity" of TSN and with the agreement of the AFL, and requires the game to have been taken by ESPN.   At the moment, AFANA has conflicting information on the week one finals coverage and is seeking clarification from both the AFL and TSN before we list a second game. 

AFANA has listed the games on TSN outlets each week on our web site all season and will continue to do so throughout the finals and in the future.  As has been explained elsewhere on this site and on our TV pages, TSN.ca, like ESPN3.com is contractually limited to keeping the games on demand for 48 hours from match start and no longer.  This is to protect the rights of Telstra and it's contracted providers  Aussie Sport TV and Omnisport.tv (services of Peform, Ltd). Fans are encouraged to check our TV schedule page.

-Rob

Hi dcmoses,

TSN will only carry games that ESPN has on offer and has agreed to carry only a specific number of matches per week.  As a result, the Elimination finals will not be available. 

For those having problems finding the matches, this is what TSN has told us:  [go to the] "TSN.ca video player and look under 2010 Australian Rules Football League On Demand and both the St.Kilda/Geelong, and Collingwood/Western Bulldog matches are currently listed on the website. ....(I looked under Video Player - Video Library - then scrolled down.)"

-Rob

Recent content

Partners

Worldfootynews.com

ENJOY Three Months Free! 

VPN for Sports!

• Need to access sports broadcasts that are blocked in your area? You need a VPN!
  • With ExpressVPN, you get a flexible VPN service that can be adjusted on the fly.
  • More than 105 countries suppoorted.
  • The best part? Click on this offer and get 3 months FREE!

We Recommend:

ENJOY 40% OFF SITEWIDE!

• The future of vitamins is here! Say goodbye to generic multivitamins cluttering your table top. 
  • With Vitable, you get personalized daily vitamin packs tailored to your unique diet, lifestyle and health needs.
  • All you need to do is complete a simple online quiz and unlock your expert recommendation. 
  • Join the 400,000+ people embracing the Vitable way with 40% OFF your first order
  • Use the promo code AFANA40 at checkout.