Skip to main content

MHz Worldview is now streaming on their website homepage MHzworldview. I think anyone at least in the U. S. will be able to watch AFL games on computers at that website assuming MHz Worldview continues to stream throughout the year and assuming they carry AFL games and highlights again this year. I'd say chances for both are good. The picture and sound ain't bad. ESPN3: There seems to be changes at this website. It is now called WatchESPN. Their archive seems to have been purged recently and there are no AFL games to watch. Too bad as I was looking forward to watching a few games this Winter I had not seen elsewhere. MHz Worldview hinted earlier on Facebook that they might carry AFL games live and are planning to expand their pay-per-view options. So, maybe if they record their satellite feed for broadcast later on Monday evenings they also show the feed live, which will be late night/early morning here in the U. S. Or maybe more games? They currently show many of their programs on Roku including AFL games and highlights. Roku is coming out with a new product, a finger-sized device that plugs into usb ports on televisions. Article & video here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-01-04/roku-CES/52368412/1 As we get closer to the 2012 "fixture" (still getting used to this use of the word!) I look forward to more news about AFL television options in North America.

Posted by admincms on January 06, 2012

Hi daddyodily,

Thanks for your post.  As has been our practice since AFANA's early days in the mid 90's, we don't post info on the TV coverage that is not confirmed by both the AFL and the networks or multiple reliable sources.  That's why you don't see any info on the 2012 coverage yet.  As such, you might be right on some of this but don't take offense because we're not going to confirm it. 

ESPN3 changes with Watchespn occurred late last season.  They do not have rights to air the games on ESPN3 /Watchespn past a specific time limit after the season. It's not surprising that they have purged the games as a result. 

MHz Networks ability to stream AFL games, live or otherwise, has not been confirmed by the AFL and is subject to provisions of the AFL contract with Telstra. Telstra is also in litigation with Optus and others in Australia who have done this already. Telstra has threatened to back out of their deal with the AFL if this continues.  The impact on MHz is very unclear. 

AFANA is a big fan of Roku as a way to get MHz coverage and has supported that in the past.  Personally, I love Roku for this and many other reasons. 

Stay tuned.  The AFL offices reopen for the new year shortly and we'll have more soon. 

-Rob
AFANA Chairman Emeritus and Site Admin

Posted by Gregg Z (not verified) on June 04, 2012

I am rather crushed and disappointed to find out that MHz Network will no longer be airing (and simultaneously streaming om) the edited footy Game of the Week on Monday evenings, opting instead to air a one-week old match in the wee hours (4:00am EST; 1:00am PST) on Saturdays. I count myself as a dedicated fan, but this beggars belief. While MHz are clearly trying to divert fans to their Roku site, this is another slap in the face to those footy fans who simply can't get FSP (due to their cable carrier), and don't have the proper equipment (i.e. older, incompatible TVs, slower internet, etc.) or wherewithal to get FSP or Roku. I know AFANA has a lot on their plate, but I was under the impression that you at least had a sympathetic ear within MHz-- perhaps this decision was a temporary one, or can be changed. Here's hoping you do-- because Footy's barely-there presence in the broadcast landscape just took another blow.
Posted by admincms on June 04, 2012

Gregg,

I appreciate your disappointment.  I am changing the title of this thread since it not related to the speculative original topic.

AFANA is disappointed, too. No one is taking a slap at anyone here! These are business and programming decisions!

The fact is that the sports landscape is changing and while I wish MHz would do something else, my guess is that in the near term it won't change. We'll continue to talk to MHz and hopefully it will change down the line.  The real villain here isn't MHz or FSP.  It's the need for sports to show they can generate viewers and revenue in a rapidly changing business.  If MHz viewers watching the AFL don't donate to MHz, they rightfully will put something on the air that will generate support. 

I think it is also worth noting that some of the problems we face have nothing to do with FSP or MHz but with the contracts the AFL has with TV networks in Australia.  For example, HD vs SD.  Seven doesn't produce any AFL coverage in true HD.  Another example: the AFL deal with Telstra.  Telstra has exclusive worldwide rights to internet distribution of the AFL. That restricts what anyone, MHz included, can do.  Finally, MHz rights are secondary to FSP. 

No one is happy to see worse coverage of the AFL and we'll work with MHz to see what options are available from here.  They are good people and deserve our thanks for a dozen seasons of coverage that (frankly) most fans ignored or didn't appreciate.  A bump in the road. 

-Rob
AFANA Chairman Emeritus and Site Admin

Posted by daddyodilly on June 16, 2012

This is the third year I have been able to watch footy games on MHz Worldview.  I share your disappointment in not seeing games during prime time on Mondays anymore.  To me it was that Monday night game on a broadcast network (not a cable channel, mind you) that seemed like the AFL's best showcase on U. S. television.  I record the 3:00am (Central time) broadcasts and watch at a convenient time, which is fine for me.  I just think a prime time slot created the opportunity for casual viewers to find this sport while channel surfing and thus become new fans. 

MHz is doing some good things this year: 

Their picture and sound quality has made great improvements, really noticeable.  Not high definition but a lot better.

Their AFL You Tube page has really great short features explaining rules and history of the game which is excellent for U. S. fans.  A few of these have been shown on TV prior to one game and after some highlight shows.  I hope they keep this up.

The MHz Worldview network is now streamed on their website and phone app and this includes the footy games and highlights.

Footy has been prominently featured on their website homepage.

Their wording on Facebook months ago suggested they themselves did not know until the eleventh hour whether or not they would be able to show the AFL at all this year.  So if their coverage this year seems trimmed back some I think it may have been out of their control somewhat.  I wonder, though, if the cancellation of the Monday game of the week is a deliberate attempt to sell more game pay per views on Roku.  Might be.  My great wish for next year is that they would return to the complete game coverage including pre-game, half-time, and post-game segments in a three-hour time slot and the weekly highlight program all during prime time, like what they did last year.  Any night of the week is OK with me.  I don't care.

I don't get Fox Soccer Plus but it looks like there are multiple repeats of AFL games which is good for those who get that channel.

Long time fans of the AFL in the U. S. don't seem to see this as much different than ever.  Trying to find Australian rules football on television is a challenge and rarely convenient. Ya gotta want it real bad!

Recent content

Partners

Worldfootynews.com

ENJOY Three Months Free! 

VPN for Sports!

• Need to access sports broadcasts that are blocked in your area? You need a VPN!
  • With ExpressVPN, you get a flexible VPN service that can be adjusted on the fly.
  • More than 105 countries suppoorted.
  • The best part? Click on this offer and get 3 months FREE!

We Recommend:

ENJOY 40% OFF SITEWIDE!

• The future of vitamins is here! Say goodbye to generic multivitamins cluttering your table top. 
  • With Vitable, you get personalized daily vitamin packs tailored to your unique diet, lifestyle and health needs.
  • All you need to do is complete a simple online quiz and unlock your expert recommendation. 
  • Join the 400,000+ people embracing the Vitable way with 40% OFF your first order
  • Use the promo code AFANA40 at checkout.