Skip to main content

So I just got this in my inbox this morning: 

Dear Setanta Customer,

Setanta Sports and NEXTV are thrilled to announce that they have partnered together to bring you the best international sports channel around. NEXTV is an IPTV provider that delivers digital telvision services via broadband. For those of you that are unable to get satellite or prefer watching Setanta on your tv, NEXTV is the perfect solution.

FREE SETANTA SPORTS ONE-MONTH PREVIEW!!

All you need is a high-speed internet connection of at least 1.5Mbps and a set-top box which can be rented or purchased from NEXTV. Setanta is available for only $14.99 per month.

Visit www.getnextv.com for subscription information or call 1-866-645-8792.

setanta [at) getnextv [ dot } com

Not sure about them...  very little info available on the web... also called the number and got a voice recording...  reminds me of ITVN...  not sure if that bodes well or not... 

I will call Setanta on monday and find out more... and post here..... 

In the mean time... Viva La Setanta Broadband!!!! 

Beaver

OMFG The Blue are NOT at the bottom of the ladder!

Posted by admincms on May 03, 2008

We received the same notice and we will be doing our homework and report in due course.  As our readers probably know we will keep you informed on GEK TV and NexTV as we can gather information.  We have had some difficulty getting information from GEK TV but we will continue to pursue information.  Once we feel we have sufficient information to make a recommendation on both providers we will do so.  Keep in mind that ITVN was not a poorly run operation from a technical point of view.  It had issues but in the end it was the business plan that failed and the cash ran out.  We will also be in touch with Setanta regarding business issues for both of these providers. 

-Rob
AFANA Chairman and Site Admin

Posted by ovalball on May 06, 2008

Well, Rob, I guess we'd just agree to disagree. The reason I finally canceled my ITVN subscription was because of the absolute unreliability of the stream. Trying to record footy overnight was like rolling the dice. Maybe I'd get it--maybe I wouldn't and it was invariably an ITVN technical issue if I didn't. I just couldn't see continuing to pay for a service that operated correctly just some of the time.

As for the new kids on the block--don't anyone hold his breath.Image removed. There's plenty out there about them at  both iptvforums and www.bigsoccer.com.

BTW, my international subscription continues to work just fine. I watch all the footy I can handle---and on demand.Image removed.

Posted by admincms on May 06, 2008

Hi ovalball,

Yes, I do disagree.  For many fans, ITVN worked well.  We never said it would or did work perfectly for everyone.  And it didn't.  The fact is that TV over the internet remains a developing technology.  If you buy it thinking it will be like cable TV, then you are misleading yourself.  My own experience was that it was very good.  I either used it myself or saw it in use over 3 different internet service providers.  It varied in quality and reliability on all three.  So what does that tell you?  It tells me that ITVN's own systems were not the sole determinant of their quality or reliability.  The service provided by your ISP matters a lot.  The configuation of your own home network matters.  Given recent stories about Comcast blocking some downloads, for example, should give us all pause.  So, as we said before, and will say again:  Each fan must make a determination if the cost, service quality, and usability of any given offering are worth the price to you.  

If you read the complaints here about the afl.com.au service that would lead most to the same conclusion you had about ITVN.  So, we each need to find what works best in our own situation and make our own value judgments.  For some fans, paying $14.99 a month for footy, no matter how delivered, is not worth it.  AFANA respects that.  Only YOU know how much your footy is worth to you. 

This is the 13th year I have been involved in promoting Australian football and working on the TV coverage.  It's taught me a lot of "reality" lessons.   Given where we were for so many of those years it makes where we are now seem almost "blessed".  Will it ever be perfect for every fan?  No.  Your expectations and your own "reality" matter but I hesitate to ever assume mine and any other fans' will be identical.  To cop a phrase:  Your Mileage May Vary.

AFANA's goal is to provide information on all of your alternatives to get your footy.  You, as a fan, must then make your own judgment about what it is worth to you and what option you wish to spend your money on to get it.   We are investigating GEK TV and NexTV and when we are prepared to provide information and a recommendation on them, we will do so.   We will take fans feedback into account in making our determination. 

-Rob

Posted by Beaver on May 10, 2008

Thanks for the reply Rob....  Until I hear more on NExTV I will hold..  also I watched the  Hall of Fame Tribute Match on Setanta Broadband and I have to say roughly the same quality as I used to get on ITVN...  one thing I wish they had was a "full Screen" option.....  but for now... I can get my fix...

Beaver

Posted by ovalball on May 12, 2008

I watched the  Hall of Fame Tribute Match on Setanta Broadband and I have to say roughly the same quality as I used to get on ITVN...  one thing I wish they had was a "full Screen" option.....  but for now... I can get my fix...

Beaver

You can watch full screen. Right click the image, click "Zoom" and then "100%". Enjoy!Image removed.

Posted by Beaver on May 16, 2008

Response from Setanta...

Mac users have to use the Zoom option:
Click on Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse (tab) >
tick Zoom using scroll wheel while holding.

Best regards,
Setanta Broadband Customer Services

Posted by Beaver on May 21, 2008

well I tried Setanta's "fix" and to be honest... it s**ks....

Basically what they have told me to do is to use the operating systems "zoom" feature... imagine using a magnifying glass on a part of your sreen... to get "full screen".   Its not full screen.  it moves if you even touch the keyboard or mouse...  it's really a lame way to get around not making it work right the first time...  I have sent a request for clarification to the email support (which btw is the ONLY way to get support for Setanta Broadband) and hope to have more info soon....

Beaver

Posted by HelenO (not verified) on June 08, 2008

Is it a Bigpond international subscription? If so, how's the quality of the stream? My previous looks at the Bigpond footy stream haven't exactly impressed me with their quality, but perhaps paying subscribers get something nicer. If it's not through Bigpond, what's the source (and how do I get it)? I saw some international subscription options, but they seemed tied to having an Aussie broadband account. I live in Washington State, so I don't. Also, is the stream reliable enough to record off of it? That's one of the things I miss with Setanta. I'm lucky to keep a Setanta stream going for an hour, so recording off that is impossible, and since they usually broadcast it late at night, I rarely see more than the first 30-60 minutes of a game. Cheers, Helen
Posted by admincms on June 08, 2008

Helen,

NexTV, like Setanta Broadband and GEKTV (and ITVN before them) provide a relay of the Setanta Sports broadcast channel with pretty much the same schedule and programming (identical on NexTV and GEKTV).  They are NOT the same as the AFL web site international subscription.  

NexTV and GEKTV work with a "black box" which sits between a connection to your internet and your TV.  Setanta Broadband works via your computer.   Each service has it's own signup thru the links we provide here.   The AFL web site international subscription works thru your internet connection, you do not need an Aussie broadband subscription, only Australian residents do.  Any US or Canadian broadband service will work if your browser, computer, and software media player are compatible [Windows, Internet Explorer, and Windows Media Player v9 or later].   The AFL web site is delivered directly from Bigpond and does not follow the Setanta schedules. 

The quality of NexTV and GEKTV will be dependent on their service and on your internet connection.  So far we don't have enough reports from users who have subscribed to judge the quality of the Setanta covererage. 

Hope all this helps.

-Rob

Posted by Swans500 on June 09, 2008

....I have found Setanta BB to be superior to the old ITVN. Picture is the same but connection is far more stable. At least in my area, Pittsburgh, ITVN used to buffer a lot....Setanta can run all day without a drop-out. Good value, but we do have Verizon FIOS starting in several months, something to really look forward to with Setanta.

Dennis.

Posted by Hutstar (not verified) on June 13, 2008

Seriously guys, I run a macbook and then parallels to windows and it is a great options. Obviously it allows me to then run the bigpond service (which i can then download from, using URL helper and Hidownload) but it obviously gives you access to the whole range of windows software, which i use for business. It isn't hard and is well worth the effort. Only problem is that as a Richmond supporter, if i have heard the scores (and i usually have) it isn't often worth watching the game!
Posted by Couchpotato (not verified) on July 31, 2008

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. My parents are Chinese and subscribed to GekTV a couple months ago. My Dad added Setanta and has been glued to it. No problems, good visual quality and only $14.95 a month. He's really happy with it....and yes, Setanta is in ENGLISH!

Recent content

Partners

Worldfootynews.com

We Recommend:

ENJOY 40% OFF SITEWIDE!

• The future of vitamins is here! Say goodbye to generic multivitamins cluttering your table top. 
  • With Vitable, you get personalized daily vitamin packs tailored to your unique diet, lifestyle and health needs.
  • All you need to do is complete a simple online quiz and unlock your expert recommendation. 
  • Join the 400,000+ people embracing the Vitable way with 40% OFF your first order
  • Use the promo code AFANA40 at checkout.